Monday, May 28, 2018

Growing Spanish Moss in Indiana

You can find Spanish Moss everywhere littering the trees in Florida. Spanish Moss is a type of air plant. Meaning it does not form roots to stay alive. It uses mositure in the air, and takes dirt and carbon particles out of the air as nutrients. I was in Florida back in March for Spring Break, and got huge clumps off the trees. I have put some in hanging baskets when the last chance of frost was gone here in Indy. Spanish Moss is cold hardy to about 5°F - 10°F. But damage occurs ob the plant around 10°F. I keep it alive by misting it constantly. The clumps I am not using I keep in a box. Half the day I keep it open to the dry air, and the other half I mist it then flip it so the moisture stays and holes so it can breath. Depending on the humidity outside depends on how often you should mist it inside. In Indiana the humidity is usually high, so I mist it 3-4 times per week (give or take). In a desert or places with low humidity outside it will need to be misted everyday. Even if it is 100% humidity outside your home is always lacking humidity. So considar misting even if it's humid outside. It could be 60% humidity outside but only 20% in your house with no breeze to blow any moisture on the foliage. Mist more frequently in winter no matter the humidity, since the air is frozen the humidity is virtually nothing even if it's high. That means your house is as low as the desert if not lower. Winter inside is when Spanish Moss is most vulnerable. It may need misting everyday in the winter even if it's really humid, it's the cold that keeps your house extremely dry.

The first four pictures are of my Spanish Moss in my house, and the last picture when I picked it off the trees in Florida.

NatureMan






No comments:

Post a Comment

Loblolly Pine The New Northern Pine

Loblolly Pine Pinus taeda The Loblolly Pine is widely known as the most common Pine tree in the South-Eastern United States. However, it is ...